- Candidate Name: Kent Sprague
- Position Sought: Auburn City Council position 2 (Non-incumbent)
- Home Legislative District: 31-817
- Democrat: yes
- Manager or Point of Contact: Kent Sprague
- Phone: +12539936405
- Address: 6312 Stuart Place SE, Auburn, WA, 98092
- Email: Kent4Auburn@gmail.com
Part I – Candidate Background
1. Please briefly describe your qualifications, education, employment, community and civic activity, union affiliation, prior political activity, and other relevant experience.
Fairview High School, Cleveland State University, IAM Legislative Training, Villanova one;ine for Project Management. Volunteering as Auburn Arts Commission, Auburn Rotary, Past Chair of 31 Democrats. Volunteered as Paradise Preforming Arts Center Manager.
2. What prompted you to run for this office? What are your campaign’s most important themes, issues, or priorities (three to five)?
Desire too grow downtown Auburn. Support providing Homeless individuals the needed services for addiction, transition housing and mental health. Support technical education. e.g. Green River Community College. Would strive for a cleaner Auburn.
3. What steps are you taking to run a successful campaign?
Endorsements from labor, political parties and elected officials. Flyers. Phone bank. Try to chart new territory of running for office in COVID environment.
Part II – Local Issues
1. Would you support the establishment of a safe injection site in your district?
2. Would you support the administration and police force in your jurisdiction adopting a sanctuary policy, forbidding the sharing of local resources and labor with ICE?
3. Do you support raising revenue at the city level to expand transit service?
4. Should transportation policy discourage the use of private automobiles and encourage the use of public-transit?
5. Do you support building a municipally owned and operated broadband system in your city or jurisdiction?
6. Do you support requiring police officers in your jurisdiction to wear body cameras?
7. Do you support repealing Tim Eyman’s I-747, which artificially limits property tax increases to 1% per year, regardless of population growth, inflation, and need?
8. Should government assist individuals, and families who are without sufficient food, shelter, or basic necessities through no fault of their own?
9. Should the wages paid to workers in Washington State be raised incrementally towards the goal of living wages?
10. Will you seek opportunities to mitigate the human activities that are contributing to disastrous climate change?
Part III – Free Response
1. Why are you requesting Democratic endorsement? What aspects of the Democratic platform most resonate with you?
Organized Labor rights. Inclusion fo all races, religions and genders.
2. What important local issues have you worked on (or taken an interest in) that you feel aren’t getting enough attention from elected leaders and the media?
Homelessness crisis. Economic opportunity for all. Transportation.
3. Please list up to three specific, concrete actions you would support to ease the homelessness crisis.
Increase funding and access to services for addiction treatment, transition housing and mental health services. Would like to explore additional approaches to problem. Work to create affordable housing.
4. What are the barriers to economic prosperity faced by residents in your jurisdiction, and how do you plan to address them?
Creating family wage jobs is always a top priority for me. Being a trade unionist. Education, I believe would help.
5. What are the transportation/transit challenges which face this jurisdiction and how would you address them? What role does rail play in your proposed solutions?
In the city of Auburn bus transportation needs to be enhanced. I would like to see the Bus Barn project in Auburn created sooner than later. More Sounder trains , with a more varied schedule would certainly help. Light rail is certainly the future.
6. What are your jurisdiction’s environmental issues, which ones are urgent and what will you do to address them?
Boeing of Auburn has created a TCE bloom under ground which is urgent, TCE is toxic solvent. Holding them accountable.
7. Does your district have a taxing authority or propose levies and what changes, if any, would you seek?
Not sure at this time.
By typing my name below, I declare under penalty of perjury the foregoing is true and correct.
Printed Name: Kent Sprague