Municipal/Other Questionnaire 2022
Candidate Name: Hanan Amer
Position Sought: 7
Are you an incumbent for this position? Non-incumbent
Home Legislative District: 47th LD Democrats
Are you a Democrat? yes
Campaign Manager or Point of Contact: Hanan Amer
Part I – Candidate Background
1. Please briefly describe your qualifications, education, employment, community and civic activity, union affiliation, prior political activity, and other relevant experience.
I am a dynamic individual committed to community service. Born in Oklahoma and raised in Benghazi, Libya, I have built a successful career and actively engaged with various organizations since moving to Auburn in 2008, a place that has become my home 15years go .
My roots run deep in this community, with both of my sons graduating from Auburn High School. My husband lives here for 31 years.
With a Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry from Benghazi University, I have dedicated myself to volunteering at
Auburn food bank, both libraries, Auburn police department, CRT, volunteer with King county United way as tax prepare for yeas in both cities Auburn and Kent, Girl scout here in Auburn.
King county Public health , 47 LD PCO and finally I was appointed to the City of Auburn Planning Commission. As I am committed to empowering others through active engagement
2. What prompted you to run for this office?
I ran for this position because I believe Democrats are needed to maintain the positive changes our city has achieved through inclusivity and diversity. I am passionate about creating an environment where every individual feel empowered and included in our community.
3. What steps are you taking to run a successful campaign?
Working with digital marketing person, hosting a weekly QA show ( Amer I can ), 4th of July booth, and now engaging in door knocking
4. What are your campaign’s most important themes, issues, or priorities (three to five)?
My top priority is to create an environment where every voice is heard, where each and every one of us feels empowered to speak up and engage. Auburn is a diverse and vibrant community, and it is crucial that we foster an inclusive atmosphere that values the input of all residents. Together, we can work towards finding solutions to the pressing issue of homelessness, ensuring that no one in Auburn is left behind.
Part II – Yes/No Questions, please qualify your answer if necessary
1. Do you support steps to build a fairer economy through tax reform and progressive taxes as wealth increases? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #1
2. Do you support robust investment in publicly owned housing/subsidized housing for elderly and low-income individuals/families, and zoning changes to support such housing? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #2
3. Developer impact fees are allowed under the Growth Management Act. Should they be increased to help pay for needed improvements to our roads, parks, and schools? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #3
4. Do you support building a municipally owned and operated broadband system in your city or jurisdiction? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #4
5. Do you support local investments to address climate change where applicable? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #5
6. Do you support women’s unrestricted access to reproductive healthcare? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #6
7. Do you support laws regulating the purchase, ownership, and carrying of firearms? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #7
8. Do you support the right of workers to unionize and bargain, including public employees? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #8
Part III – Free Response (Please answer at least four fully, and consider the additional three optional)
1. Why are you requesting Democratic endorsement? What aspects of the Democratic platform most resonate with you?
Im PCO for 47 LD 😀
I am all for climate change, social justice, inclusiveness, and equity. I support all pivotal issues of the democratic platform.
2. What public policy reforms do you support to achieve greater equity and inclusion for BIPOC and LBQIA+ individuals in our communities?
Promoting inclusive education by revising curricula to include diverse perspectives, histories, and contributions, as well as supporting culturally responsive teaching practices.
Advancing criminal justice reform to address systemic biases and disparities in policing, sentencing, and incarceration.
Strengthening voting rights protections and addressing voter suppression to ensure equitable access to the democratic process.
3. What steps do you think need to be taken to improve voter turnout and increase voter trust in our election process?
Enhance voter education, the public about the important of voting. perhaps partner with the school board to host the immigrant family’s voting education.
4. What important local issues have you worked on (or taken an interest in) that you feel aren’t getting enough attention from elected leaders and the local media?
Environmental sustainability is an issue that demands immediate attention. Climate change and environmental concerns affect us all. It is important to take action by promoting renewable energy sources, implementing recycling and waste reduction programs, and preserving our local ecosystems. By addressing these issues, we can contribute to long-term environmental sustainability and resilience.
5. Please list at least three specific, concrete actions you would support to ease the homelessness crisis.
Partner with the community to create housing options to minimize the housing crisis
in Auburn, whether that be new developments, housing vouchers, tiny homes, or other
• Collaborate with other cities and the King County Housing Authority to have a more
• This crisis did not happen overnight it will not be resolved overnight but I will keep us headed
in the right direction for success
6. What safety, law, or justice issues are currently facing your jurisdiction, and how will you address them?
Increase law enforcement resources, training, and technology while implementing community policing programs. foster collaboration between agencies, invest in social programs, and leverage technology for effective crime prevention and response.
7. What are the transportation/transit challenges which face your jurisdiction and how would you address them? What role does green energy play in your proposed solutions?
In many places, transportation faces challenges like too much traffic, not enough good public transportation, difficulty reaching rural areas, not enough paths for walking or biking, harm to the environment, problems connecting to the last part of the journey, and the need for better technology. Green energy, which is good for the environment, can help solve these challenges. For example, using electric cars and buses, making sure there are places to charge them, and using renewable energy sources can reduce pollution and make transportation more sustainable.
By typing my name below, I declare under penalty of perjury the foregoing is true and correct.
Printed Name: Hanan Amer
Date (mm/dd/yy): 07/05/2023