Legislative Questionnaire 2022
Candidate Name: Cheryl Rakes
Position Sought: Auburn City Council position 1
Are you an incumbent for this position? Incumbent
Home Legislative District: 47th District
Are you a Democrat? Yes
Campaign Manager or Point of Contact: Kristina Driessen
Mailing Address: 16 A St SE Auburn, wa 98002
Phone: +1206 227-6996
Part I – Candidate Background
1. Please briefly describe your qualifications, education, employment, community and civic activity, union affiliation, prior political activity, and other relevant experience.
My commitment to the city as I was raised in Auburn. My dad was a firemen in Auburn.
I attended Auburn Schools and graduated in 1973
I went to Knapp College of business in Auburn
I went to Green RiverCommunity College in Auburn
I attended Bryman College in Renton where I got my medial assistant degree
I am the Exector Director for the Downtown Auburn Cooperative
I was on the Transportaion Board in Auburn.
I’m on the Human Service committee in Auburn
I’m on the public works committee in Auburn.
I have taken many classes from the Mainstreet Institute of America.
My employment jobs have been
Sales Manager Vendor Supply of America
Office Manager HD Flower in Sumner
Medical Assistant at St Joseph Women’s Clinic in Tacoma
Executive Director for Downtown Auburn Cooperative
2. What prompted you to run for this office?
The commitment I have to the City. My ability to work together to get things done. With my past experience with jobs I have developed leadership skills, negotiating skills, listening skills and I dont give up. I work very well understands. I want to see Auburn Suceed. I believe I bring alot to the table being a council member to beable to accomplish the needs of Auburn. I am on the council to serve everyone.
3. What are your campaign’s most important themes, issues, or priorities (three to five)?
Revitalization/economic vitality and growth
4. What steps are you taking to run a successful campaign?
I have my committee already together and we have had 1 meeting with another one in the works.
I am already going reaching out to everybody and have ordered materials for my campaign.
I have filed with the PDC. I have reached out to councilmembers for endorsements. I have reached out to the 47 district for endorsements, I have reached out to unions, local businesses and every citizens I talk to
Part II – Yes or No Questions, please qualify your response if necessary
1. Do you support steps to build a fairer economy through tax reform, including a wealth tax? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #1
2. Do you support the right of public workers, excluding military, to bargain and strike? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #2
3. Do you support legalizing multi-unit homes statewide, as proposed in the #Homes4WA bill, to help alleviate the affordable housing crisis? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #3 Yes we need housing for all
4. Do you support legislation to address climate change and protect our environment, including the Keep Washington Evergreen Act? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #4
5. Do you support women’s unrestricted access to reproductive healthcare? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #5 Absolutely 💯 working in a women’s clinic I know how important that is
6. Do you support achieving a universal, affordable, quality single payer healthcare program? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #6 Absolutely we need to fix out heath our system
7. Do you support overturning “Citizens United” and imposing limits on campaign finance contributions? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #7
8. Do you support laws regulating the purchase, ownership, and carrying of firearms? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #8 To many mass shooting are taking the life of innocent people. I do believe in the 2nd ammendment but I also believe in regulating what we have for gun ownership
Part III – Free Response (Please answer at least four questions fully, consider the remaining three optional)
1. Why are you running as a Democrat? What aspects of the Democratic platform most resonate with you?
I am seeking Democratic endorcement because I am a life time Democrat. I believe in protecting women rights. I also believe in our constitution and separate church and state.
2. What important state and local issues have you worked on (or taken an interest in) that you feel aren’t getting enough attention from elected leaders and the media?
Mental health treatment and the availability of it. We don’t have enough places that provide mental heath beds and we need to fix that problem. Instead the mental health are homeless on out streets, usually start using and there is not enough places to provide them with treatment and that includes our veterans.
3. What legislative reforms do you support to achieve greater equity and inclusion for BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ individuals in our communities?
I believe in equal rights for everyone. That is there choice to make and nobody else’s. It doesn’t matter what color you are or what gender you decide that is up to you and I for one will not judge that.
4. What are some obstacles inherent in proposed legislative solutions to climate change? How would you approach those obstacles in order to best overcome or minimize any negative effects?
5. What safety, law, or justice reforms are you currently in favor of, and how will you work to implement them?
I do support the new fire arm bill. I took over Chris Sterns council seat and incouage him to keep pushing even though this bill has passed
6. What steps do you think need to be taken to improve voter turnout and increase voter trust in our election process?
Get to the public, we need people to go out there and talk to them. More outreach and education so we can get tge public trust again. I will be doing that when I am out door to door
7. Do you think public schools are adequately funded? If not, what minimum requirements should be met in an adequately funded public school system? What specific forms of taxation would you support to attain that funding?
Printed Name Cheryl Rakes
Date (mm/dd/yy) 04/28/2023