Municipal/Other Questionnaire 2022
Candidate Name: Bill Gaines
Position Sought: Sumner -Bonney Lake School Board of Directors (District 4)
Are you an incumbent for this position? Non-incumbent
Home Legislative District: 31st
Are you a Democrat? Yes
Campaign Manager or Point of Contact: Bill Gaines
Part I – Candidate Background
1. Please briefly describe your qualifications, education, employment, community and civic activity, union affiliation, prior political activity, and other relevant experience.
I was an educator for 41 years, 15 as a classroom teacher, 21 as a building g principal, and 5 as an Assistant Superintendent. I received my BA from CWU and my Masters from WWU. I was an active member of the rRenton Teacher’s Association and the negotiations lead for the Sumner Principal’s Assoc.
2. What prompted you to run for this office?
I want to give back to the communities and the school district I love. I also believe I would bring institutional history, knowledge of student learning g and a passion for student success to the position. I am committed to student success vs some of the things I have observed taking place at school boards in our country.
3. What steps are you taking to run a successful campaign?
I have placed signs through out our community, established an active Facebook presence, have been out meeting community members, and working with a core of volunteers.
4. What are your campaign’s most important themes, issues, or priorities (three to five)?
Student success, listening to community members, common sense problem solving, respect for all students and staff.
Part II – Yes/No Questions, please qualify your answer if necessary
1. Do you support steps to build a fairer economy through tax reform and progressive taxes as wealth increases? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #1
2. Do you support robust investment in publicly owned housing/subsidized housing for elderly and low-income individuals/families, and zoning changes to support such housing? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #2
3. Developer impact fees are allowed under the Growth Management Act. Should they be increased to help pay for needed improvements to our roads, parks, and schools? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #3
4. Do you support building a municipally owned and operated broadband system in your city or jurisdiction? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #4
5. Do you support local investments to address climate change where applicable? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #5
6. Do you support women’s unrestricted access to reproductive healthcare? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #6
7. Do you support laws regulating the purchase, ownership, and carrying of firearms? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #7
8. Do you support the right of workers to unionize and bargain, including public employees? Yes
Optional: Qualify Your Response to #8
Part III – Free Response (Please answer at least four fully, and consider the additional three optional)
1. Why are you requesting Democratic endorsement? What aspects of the Democratic platform most resonate with you?
I believe diversity, equity, and inclusion for all students, staff and community members. I believe in following the democratic process and insuring all voices are heard.
2. What public policy reforms do you support to achieve greater equity and inclusion for BIPOC and LBQIA+ individuals in our communities?
3. What steps do you think need to be taken to improve voter turnout and increase voter trust in our election process?
I would like to see additional instruction and practice opportunities in our school system of and for our political process. I also think additional efforts to get more young voters to participate is vital. .
4. What important local issues have you worked on (or taken an interest in) that you feel aren’t getting enough attention from elected leaders and the local media?
Food and living facility insecurities. I have worked with local food banks, the school district, and local churches to secure food for families in need. I also worked with a local family center to secure services to provide families with financial literacy and institutional supports.
5. Please list at least three specific, concrete actions you would support to ease the homelessness crisis.
6. What safety, law, or justice issues are currently facing your jurisdiction, and how will you address them?
1715 E. Main # BB307
7. What are the transportation/transit challenges which face your jurisdiction and how would you address them? What role does green energy play in your proposed solutions?
1715 E. Main # BB307
By typing my name below, I declare under penalty of perjury the foregoing is true and correct.
Printed Name: Bill Gaines
Date (mm/dd/yy): 09/27/2013