Initiative or Levy
- Endorsement Requester: Dylan O’Connor, Deputy Field Director: Alliance for Gun Responsibility
- Contact Phone:
- Website: https://yeson1639.org/
Will you be willing to speak to members of the 31st Legislative District Democrats about this initiative?
Initiative or Levy Information
Initiative 1639 addresses the root causes of many recent mass shooting by: raising the minimum age of purchase for semi-automatic weapons, creating enhanced background checks for semi-automatic assault rifles, requiring completion of a firearms training course, and holding gun owners accountable for the misuse of their unsecured firearms
Initiative 1639 addresses the root causes of many recent mass shooting by:
– Raising the age to purchase semi-automatic assault rifles to 21.
– Creating an enhanced background check for semi-automatic assault rifles, similar to what is required for handguns. This includes a local law enforcement check of the most up-to-date local court, criminal, and mental health records; a 10-day waiting period; and the completion of a firearm safety training course within the last five years.
– Requiring completion of a firearm safety training course within the last five years. The training would include basic safety and secure storage rules, safe handling, and an overview of state and federal firearms laws.
– Creating standards for Dangerous Access Prevention. These standards hold gun owners accountable if a child or other prohibited person accesses and uses an unsecurely stored firearm to hurt themselves or someone else.