31st L.D. Democrats General Meeting
July 25th, 2018, 7pm
Edgewood Fire Station
Meeting was called to order at 7pm by Chair Brian Gunn followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. M/S/P to approve the agenda.
Approval of Minutes: (Britt Kauffman)
- 6/27/18 General Meeting – M/S/C to approve as submitted
- 7/3/18 Executive Board Meeting – M/S/C to approve as submitted
Treasurer Report: (Rudy Adams)
- M/S/C to approve as submitted.
Officer & Committee Reports:
Brian reported on a lecture he attended detailing the conditions found at a Texas ICE Detention Center and his anger that this is occurring in our country. He urged the body to turn this outrage to action! Doorbell, phone call, register, GOTV and VOTE BLUE in November!
2 events in August. If you have signed up to staff booth. Please confirm. Donna will call through to volunteers to remind them.
We currently have 64 members. If you haven’t renewed, please do!
King Co. State Committee:
Sarah reported that a new Treasurer has been elected for the King County Dems. George shared Brian’s outrage at the ICE Detention conditions.
Pierce Co. Dems:
Kirby reported that they have also found a Treasurer for the Pierce Co. Dems. A lot of financial exposure still, but they are addressing it.
Robin will be doing voter registration at the Auburn Farmers Market on 7/29 & 8/12. Volunteers welcome!
Always looking for stories on activism, canvassing experiences, etc. Submit to Alli for posting.
- Received updates on campaigns from:
- Victoria Mena gave a presentation on building community resistance & knowing your rights when confronted with encounters with ICE.
- Sarah Edwards outlined the responsibilities and how to overcome some of the challenges of being a PCO.
- Kirby Pollard explained what the Washington State Grange Association was and how it could be an effective forum for community enhancement.
E-Board has recommended forming a Finance Committee to assist the Treasurer. Robin MacNofski, Mark Demming, Kathy Lorimer & Brian Gunn will serve.
Good & Welfare:
- Gene Hart spoke on behalf of Kitsapsafeschools.org.
- Bob Klavann, 25thD., called for volunteers at the Pierce Co. Dem’s booth at the WA state fair.
- Reminder of Victoria Mena’s Birthday Bash, 7/29.
- Sarah Edwards spoke on GOTV opportunities over the next 2 weeks.
- Robin MacNofsky – Fuse voter reg events at Auburn Farmers Market, Sunday July 29 and Sunday August 12. Needs volunteers!
M/S/C to adjourn at 9:12pm.
Submitted: Britt Kauffman, Secretary