31st L.D. Democrats General Meeting
August 22nd, 2018, 7pm
Edgewood Fire Station
Meeting was called to order at 7pm by Chair Brian Gunn followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
Approval of Agenda:
- M/S/C to move “Guest Speakers” to follow the Treasurers Report.
- M/S/C to approve the agenda, as amended.
Approval of Minutes: (Britt Kauffman)
- 7/25/18 General Meeting – M/S/C to approve as submitted
- 8/8/18 Executive Board Meeting – M/S/C to approve as submitted
Treasurer Report: (Rudy Adams)
- M/S/C to approve as amended/updated.
- Kim Schrier, Candidate for Senator, 8th C.D.
- Lizanne Padula, Candidate, Pierce Co. District Court Judge, Pos. 3
- Karl Williams, Candidate, Pierce Co. District Court Judge, Pos. 6
- Sean Jacobson, Organizer, “Yes on Initiative 1631,” Supporting corporate pollutant fee’s and clean energy investment
- Russ McCullium & Dale Mitchell; Overview of EPFR Prop 1, “Bond for Capitol Facilities, Vehicles & Equipment.”
- Jordan Wade, Alliance for Gun Responsibility, on Initiative 1639 regarding responsible gun ownership.
- George Vadino, Campaign Manager, “Yes Pierce Libraries,” Levy request.
- Nick Pennington, Organizer for 31st & 45 L.D.’s; GOTV and canvassing recruitment. Volunteer Convention in Auburn on Sept. 1.
M/S/C to consider endorsements prior to Officer Reports.
M/S/C as listed:
- Endorse Initiative 1631, Supporting corporate pollutant fee’s and clean energy investment.
- Endorse Kim Schrier for Senate, 8th C.D.
- Endorse Karl Williams for Pierce Co Judge, Pos. 6
- Endorse EPFR Prop. 1, “Bond for Capitol Facilities, Vehicles & Equipment.”
- Endorse Initiative 1639, Responsible gun ownership requirements.
- Endorse Lizanne Padula for Pierce Co. Judge, Pos. 3.
- Endorse “Yes Pierce Libraries” Levy request.
Officer & Committee Reports:
Brian expressed his appreciation for tonight’s program. It is a great example of opening the process to interested constituents, while extolling the value of public access services such as libraries and fire departments.
Pierce Co Dems:
Kirby & Ingrid are going to Spokane for the convention; PCO’s are encouraged to attend the Pierce Co meetings for support; There will be a function featuring Maria Cantwell & Cory Booker on Sunday, Aug. 26th. Tix available at the P.C. Dem’s website; Still have open slots to staff the booth at the Washington State Fair.
Donna said the fair booth season has ended and was a success! Thanks to everyone who volunteered!
- M/S/C to adopt “Standing Rules for Non-Candidate Endorsements”
- M/S/C to amend drafted “Standing Rules for Candidate Endorsement” to “submissions by the 1st of the month, prior to endorsement”
- M/S/C to adopt “Standing Rules for Candidate Endorsement,” as amended.
- Both are available for review at the above links.
Good & Welfare:
- Thanks to Donna for her work in coordinating schedules for booth staffing this Summer!
- Our endorsed candidates need volunteers! See candidate info on our website to contact.
- Alli is available to help write LTE’s or articles for the newsletter
- “Indivisible” has posted a info site on Dino Rossi at: “TheRealDino.com” that you can link to.
- Brian shared info on services for former 31st Dem & activist, Gladys Paulus, who recently passed away.
M/S/C to adjourn at 9:20pm.
Submitted: Britt Kauffman, Secretary
Pingback: Meeting Agenda – September 26, 2018 – 31st Legislative District Democrats